Winter berry trifle
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + chilling
- Serves 8
- 500g bag frozen mixed berries
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp (or any other berry liqueur) crème de cassis
- about 250g madeira cake, sliced
- 250ml tub mascarpone
- 500ml tub fresh custard
- 2 tsp vanilla extrac
- 284ml and 142ml pot double cream
- STEP 1
Put the berries and sugar in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the cassis and cool slightly.
- STEP 2
Put a layer of madeira cake in the bottom of a large glass trifle dish and spoon over ⅔ of the berry mix (you might not need all the liquid).
- STEP 3
Beat the mascarpone until smooth then gradually beat in the custard and stir in the vanilla. Spoon on top of the cake and berries. whip the cream to soft peaks and dollop onto the custard. Chill for an hour. Just before serving, spoon over the rest of the berry mix.