Four easy steps to perfect baguettes:
- The key to crispness: Making an overnight poolish may seem like added hassle but, trust us, this is the secret to a thin, crisp crust and fluffy, light inside.
- Stretch out the dough: Occasionally stretching and folding the dough helps build strength, and evenly distributes the bubbles.
- Be patient: Try to wait until the baguettes are just warm, then tear open and spread with salted butter
- Get steamy: The steam created by the water in the oven tray stops the crust from forming too quickly, so the dough remains light and airy inside.
- strong white bred flour 150g
- fast-action dried yeast ⅛ tsp or a large pinch
- strong white bread flour 500g, plus extra for dusting
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp, plus extra for the bowl
- fast-action dried yeast ½ tsp
- Kcals 433
- Fat 5g
- Saturates 0.8g
- Carbs 81.8g
- Sugars 0.5g
- Fibre 3.6g
- Protein 13.7g
- Salt 1.6g