Steamed sea bass
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 1 (about 800g) sea bass, gutted and scaled, with three vertical slashes made in the flesh
- 300g long-stemmed broccoli, halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- a thumb-sized piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled into thin strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled into thin strips
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced at an angle
- basmati rice, to serve
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cut two large sheets of baking paper big enough to completely fit and seal in the sea bass (about 34cm x 36cm). Put the sheets, one on top of the other, onto a large baking sheet and lay the sea bass in the middle. Scatter around the broccoli.
- STEP 2Mix together the soy, shaoxing, sesame oil and sugar, and then pour over the fish. Open the belly of the fish and stuff with the garlic, ginger and a handful of coriander stalks. Season the fish and wrap up the parcel tightly to seal. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the fish is coming away from the bone.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, put the carrot and cucumber strips into a bowl with the rice vinegar and some seasoning, and toss. Leave for 20 minutes to pickle.
- STEP 4Once the fish is cooked, open up the parcel. Top with the pickled carrot and cucumber strips, sliced red chilli and spring onions. Serve with rice.