Vegan French toast
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2 as a brunch
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 200ml dairy-free milk
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, plus more to serve
- 4 slices stale bread
- flavourless oil (such as sunflower oil), for frying
- (defrosted) seasonal fruit or frozen berries
- coconut ice cream or yogurt, to serve
- STEP 1Whisk the cornflour with a splash of the milk in a shallow bowl until smooth and lump-free, then whisk in the remaining milk, 1 tsp of the cinnamon, all the vanilla and 2 tbsp of maple syrup.
- STEP 2Soak the bread slices in the mixture for a few seconds on each side, then drain off any excess.
- STEP 3Heat a little oil in a frying pan, and fry the bread slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining slices.
- STEP 4To serve, heat the grill to medium-high. Stir together the remaining 1 tbsp of maple syrup and ½ tsp of cinnamon, then brush evenly over the toasts, on a baking tray. Grill for 3-5 minutes or until the sugars start to caramelise. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving with fruit and ice cream or yogurt.