Founded in the US by the late great Josh Ozersky and brought to the UK by chef Richard H. Turner and London butchers, Turner & George, Meatopia is a festival of high-quality, ethically sourced meat, all cooked over ethically sourced wood and charcoal by some of the world’s leading chefs.
1. Head to Andre De Luca’s stand on either Saturday or Sunday. He’s come over from Sao Paulo and will be serving up Picanha with Lardo di Colonnata Dip. It’s essentially grilled rump with a pig fat dip and will be cooked over cherrywood fire provided by our wonderful London Log man, Mark Parr. Andre is the man who brought Texan BBQ to Brazil, so we’re really excited to have him at Meatopia again this year.
2. CRAFTOPIA – NEW for 2015, this area is devoted to all things beer and will be curated by expert SommALEier, Melissa Cole. Drop by to see some live brewing, have a chat to Melissa and to learn all about the ultimate beer and food pairings. Think drinks from Beaverton, Honest Brew and the London Brewing Company to name but a few.
3. Butchery Masterclass – learn how to cut, trim and prepare your own forerib from rare-breed cattle aged between 28 and 56 days with master butchers Turner & George. After an hour and a half class, you’ll get to take home your own 8kg forerib to roast, a selection of rib-eye steaks and a Turner & George goodie mag of meaty treats. Oh and they’ll throw in a drink, too. Book your tickets pre-festival here.
4. Bodega El Capricho – make a special visit to José Gordon’s stand on Sunday. José is travelling from Northern Spain, to be here – his beef is widely considered to be the best in the world. He lets his hand-selected oxen graze on grass and wild herbs for up to 13 years before hanging the meat for around 90 days before serving. The beef has a truly special and unique flavour – don’t miss it!
5. The Cutting Room Stage – There is a full weekend programme showcasing interesting and unusual demonstrations with top international chefs. Gizzi Erskine and Neil Rankin will be cooking up a storm and don’t miss Matti Hurttia from Finland, who’l be making glow-fired Reindeer with morel sauce and Reindeer heart sashimi. Gotta be a first for most.
Tickets for the festival are available to purchase online now, priced at £31.80 for day admission and £53 for both days. meatopia.co.uk
You might also like…
The five best food festivals in September
10 ingenious ways to build a better burger
The best craft beer bars in Copenhagen
What wine to drink with burgers