Avocados are the go-to ingredient for guacamole dips at parties, one of our favourite things to put in salads, and one of the stars of the produce section. Learn a little more about this fruit, then try it in some of our favourite recipes.
Watch our 20-second video for the easiest way to stone an avocado…
1. Avocados will not ripen while on the tree… they must be picked. It’s because avocado tree leaves emit a substance that prevents the fruit from ripening. The best way to store avocados is to simply leave them on the tree – they last up to 7 months that way.
2. The oldest living avocado tree was planted in 1879 and is found on the campus of the University of California, Berkeley.
3. Retailers can ask for avocados with different stages of ripeness. An avocado in stage five is tender enough to be used to make guacamole, and stage four is ‘slice ready’. Stage one and two avocados are probably on the ‘inedible’ side.
4. When is it ready to eat? Colour isn’t an indicator, but firmness is. When an avocado is ripe it will be heavier than what it looks in size and will feel tender.
5. There are many types of avocado, but the most popular variety is Hass. This type of tree was discovered in the backyard of a mailman called Rudolph Hass. He then patented that tree in 1935 – all Hass trees can trace their lineage back to that tree.
6. Looking for a healthy source of potassium? Choose avocado over a banana – the green fruit has about double the amount of the element.
7. Looks like a vegetable, tastes like a vegetable… but the avocado is technically a fruit. A single-seeded berry to be more precise.
8. Avocados have lots of health benefits: they are high in protein, potassium, lutein (a nutrient for healthy eyes), they lower bad cholesterol, and are antioxidants high in fibre. Although this is true, you don’t need to eat an avocado to get all of its benefits…they can even play a key role in the health of your hair and skin.
Does all this talk about avocado make you want to try out a few recipes? Look no further!
Avocado and smoked salmon toasts – a recipe that’s bound to get you out of bed in the morning. Creamy avocado and delicious smoked salmon feel like an indulgence, but this dish comes in at under 300 calories meaning you can have a little bit of luxury any day of the week.
Tinned crab works really well in cooked dishes and is a fraction of the price of fresh. Use crab meat in this delicious spicy chowder packed with delicious fresh ingredients and zingy lime and avocado.