- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 6 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200g plain flour
- 125g butter, cold and cubed
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- custard or ice cream, to serve
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- STEP 2Put the brown sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a pan and warm over a medium heat, swirling until the sugar has dissolved. Tip into a bowl with the chopped pears and toss really well to combine. Tip into a 20cm x 30cm baking dish.
- STEP 3To make the crumble topping, tip the flour, butter and caster sugar into a bowl and use up-turned palms and the tips of your fingers to gently rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles sandy breadcrumbs.
- STEP 4Scatter the crumble all over the top of the pears, then sprinkle with some sea salt flakes, if you like. Bake for 30 minutes until the crumble is golden and a little of the sauce is bubbling up at the sides. Flash under a hot grill to brown, if you like. Serve with custard or ice cream.