Roast sweet potato, chipotle and orange soup with paprika seeds
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 700g sweet potatoes
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp runny honey or maple syrup, (optional)
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- 50g mixed seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 15g coriander, roughly chopped
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork, wrap them in foil and transfer directly to the oven shelf. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Once cool, halve the sweet potatoes and scrape out the flesh. Set aside.
- STEP 2While the potatoes cool, start on the seeds. Reduce the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put 1 tsp of the oil, the honey (if using) and paprika in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Add the seeds, season and stir to coat. Line a baking tray with baking paper and add the seeds, spreading out into a single layer. Transfer the tray to the oven and roast for 6-8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray.
- STEP 3Put the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a large, deep pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, season with salt, and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Add 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste (depending on how spicy you like it) and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the sweet potato flesh to the pan along with the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the orange zest and juice. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- STEP 5Divide the soup between four bowls and swirl with the remaining chipotle paste (if the paste is too thick to swirl, add a little water to thin slightly). Sprinkle with the seeds and coriander to serve.