- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4-6 as a snack
- 1 cauliflower, broken into small florets, stem chopped and small leaves cut into pieces
- 200g gram flour
- 25g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 150-200ml sparkling water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 150g greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- a handful coriander, chopped
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- STEP 1Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and simmer the cauliflower pieces for 1-2 minutes until just softening. Drain really well and leave to cool completely.
- STEP 2Put the flours and spices in a bowl along with a big pinch of salt, then gradually whisk in the sparkling water until it forms a stiff batter. Gently fold in the onion and cooled cauliflower pieces until they’re completely coated in batter.
- STEP 3Put the yogurt, lime zest and juice, and coriander in a blender with plenty of seasoning and whizz until smooth and combined.
- STEP 4Fill a pan no more than a third full with oil and heat to 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Line a plate with kitchen paper and set it by the hob.
- STEP 5Use a dessert spoon to carefully drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil, frying for 3-4 minutes, in batches, until really crisp. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out onto the prepared plate and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with the yogurt for dipping.