Try our homemade bagels recipe then check out four quick and easy bagel topping ideas.
How to make bagels
- Kneading the dough until smooth and elastic will help the finished shape and texture.
- Create the classic bagel shape by pulling the dough down and tucking under to form a rough ball, then use your hands to roll into a smooth ball.
- The bagel hole needs to be a particular size (3cm) to allow for dough expansion in the oven. If you don’t make the hole big enough it will close up again in the oven. Use a wooden spoon to first make the hole then expand to the right size.
- Simmering the bagels first in a pan of boiling water and bicarbonate of soda allows the bagels to puff up slightly and to create a skin.
A bagel should crack as you bite into it and be a little chewy.
- golden caster sugar 2 tbsp
- fast action yeast 7g sachet
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- strong bread flour 500g
- light muscovado sugar 1 tbsp
- bicarbonate of soda 1 tbsp
- egg 1, beaten
- poppy seeds, sesame seeds or sea salt to finish