Indulgent and syrupy, chocolate liqueurs are a great go-to if you're craving something sweet to sip on. They are a key ingredient in retro cocktails like a grasshopper, and also work well drizzled into hot chocolate or coffee.
Best chocolate liqueurs at a glance
- Best coffee chocolate liqueur: Hotel Chocolat Espresso Martini Velvetised Cream, £23
- Best chocolate liqueur for a sweet tooth: Tempus Fugit Spirits Crème de Cacao à la Vanille, £29.75
- Best white chocolate liqueur: Coole Swan Irish cream liqueur, £24.95
- Best whisky chocolate liqueur: Samuel Gelston whisky liqueur, £17
- Best classic chocolate liqueur: Mozart chocolate cream liqueur, £18
- Best coconut chocolate liqueur: Aluna coconut coffee liqueur, £19.74
- Best chocolate liqueur for cocktails: Volare White Cacao, £13.79
Best chocolate liqueurs to buy 2023
Hotel Chocolat Espresso Martini Velvetised Cream
- Available from Hotel Chocolat (£23)
Made using vodka, espresso, white chocolate and cream, this silky-smooth liqueur has a generous hit of coffee flavour, with a balanced boozy kick. Use for an extra-indulgent espresso martini, or it would go down a storm in a white russian.
Hotel Chocolat (£23)
Tempus Fugit Spirits Crème de Cacao à la Vanille
Best chocolate liqueur for a sweet tooth
Lusciously sweet and sticky, this liqueur is incredibly fragrant, with notes of vanilla, milk chocolate and caramel – it smells just like a bar of Cadbury's. Sip instead of dessert after dinner.
Coole Swan Irish cream liqueur
Best white chocolate liqueur
A velvety blend of cream, Belgian white chocolate and single malt Irish whiskey, this is a rich and sumptuous liqueur that’s not too sickly. Swirl into a hot chocolate.
Samuel Gelston whisky liqueur
Best whisky chocolate liqueur
Featuring cream, chocolate and Samuel Gelston’s own blended whiskey, expect creamy vanilla notes and a fiery, spicy edge from the booze. Drizzle over vanilla ice cream.
Mozart chocolate cream liqueur
We fell for this decadent liqueur which features Belgian chocolate, cream, cocoa and Madagascan vanilla. Well-rounded and not too sweet, with a nice boozy edge. Essentially, it tastes like alcoholic chocolate milk – what’s not to like?
Aluna coconut coffee liqueur
Best coconut chocolate liqueur
This liqueur uses cold brew Arabica coffee, coconut rum, cacao nibs and cardamom to delicious effect, with lovely toasted coconut and dark cocoa notes. Sip while nibbling on a chocolate Bounty bar.
Volare White Cacao
Best chocolate liqueur for cocktails
This crème de cacao liqueur has all the chocolatey flavour you'd expect and it's also clear, making it a useful ingredient for cocktails where you don't want to change the colour of the final drink.