Veggie Reuben Sandwich
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 1
- 150g closed-cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp low-salt, low-sugar tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- ½ spear dill pickle, very finely chopped, plus extra spears to serve
- 1 spring onion, white part only, very finely chopped
- a few drops hot sauce
- a large pinch ground allspice
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 slice Swiss cheese (such as emmental)
- 2 tbsp pickled red cabbage
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tip the mushrooms on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the garlic. Drizzle over the oil and toss to coat, seasoning lightly. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes until deeply browned and tender. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- STEP 2
Combine the mayo, ketchup, horseradish, pickle, onion, hot sauce and allspice in a small bowl, seasoning lightly. Spread one side of each bread slice with the dressing. Top one slice with the mushrooms, cheese and pickled cabbage. Top with the other slice of bread, dressing-side down.
- STEP 3
Put a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Brush both sides of the sandwich with a little more oil, then add to the pan and press down using a spatula for 2-3 minutes until the underside of the sandwich is golden. Carefully flip the sandwich and press down again for 2 minutes until golden on the other side and the cheese has melted. Transfer the sandwich to a plate, slice and serve with the dill pickles.