Supercharged egg mayo sandwich
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
- 8 eggs
- 75g pickled silverskin onions, finely chopped
- 75g cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ground to make ¼ tsp white peppercorns
- 6 pickled walnuts, thinly sliced
- 12 large slices white bloomer
- 2 punnets salad cress
- 2 x 22g packets Salt & Vinegar Squares Crisps
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 50ml walnut oil
- 1-2 tbsp juice from the pickle jar
- STEP 1
Put the eggs into a pan of simmering water, cook for 8 minutes then drain and run under cold water until completely cold. Peel and cut into large pieces.
- STEP 2
For the mayo, put the egg yolk, mustard and a little seasoning into a small blender and whizz briefly. Whizz again and very slowly drizzle in the sunflower and walnut oils until emulsified. Stir through the liquid from the pickled onion jar to loosen. If you don’t have a small blender, this is also made easily in a bowl using an electric whisk. Pour the mayonnaise into a bowl and stir through the pickled onions, cornichons, shallot and ground white pepper. Very gently fold in the chopped boiled egg until just combined.
- STEP 3
Put a layer of the thinly sliced pickled walnuts onto the bottom slices of bread, top with the egg mayo, cress and crisps, and finish with the top slices.