Ghee-roasted spiced roots
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 500g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- sea salt
- 300g parsnips, halved or quartered lengthways
- 200g carrots, small/medium halved lengthways
- 250g turnips or jerusalem artichokes, halved or quartered
- 2 shallots, halved lengthways
- a small bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- natural yogurt, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Put the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan on a low heat. Heat for 10-15 minutes until the solids on the bottom of the pan start to become a deeper golden brown and the liquid becomes clearer and golden.
- STEP 2
Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Pour through a fine metal sieve into a bowl, leaving the solids behind in the pan, then pour into a jar or airtight storage container.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Mix 100ml of ghee, the cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, honey and 1 tsp of salt.
- STEP 4
Put the vegetables in a large roasting tray, pour over the spiced ghee and mix well. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 20 minutes.
- STEP 5
Remove the foil and roast for another 25 minutes or until the veg are cooked and slightly caramelised.
- STEP 6
Finish with chopped coriander and a blob of yogurt, if you like.