Tomato, lemongrass and rice soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, woody outer leaves discarded, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tamarind purée
- 3 tbsp basmati rice
- a handful coriander, finely chopped
- STEP 1Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass for 2 minutes.
- STEP 2Add the spices and cook for 1 minute, then tip in the tomatoes, tamarind and 600ml water, and simmer for 5 minutes. Blitz with a stick blender until smooth, then season.
- STEP 3Heat the soup again, add the rice and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir through the coriander and serve.