- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 100g green lentils, rinsed
- 3 echalion shallots, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced into 1cm pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and sliced
- 1 courgette, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 100g orzo
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped to make 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- chopped to make 1 tbsp tarragon
- to serve extra-virgin olive oil
- to serve crusty bread
- STEP 1
Cook the lentils in boiling water for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- STEP 2
Tip the shallots into a casserole with the olive oil. Cook over a low-medium heat until tender and just starting to colour at the edges. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Tip the leek, celery, fennel and courgette into the pan and mix.
- STEP 3
Pour the stock into the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the lentils, orzo, cherry tomatoes and bay leaf. Season well, half-cover with a lid and cook gently for 20 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- STEP 4
Add the chopped herbs and serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and some crusty bread, if you like.