Chocolate chip banana bread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + cooling
- Serves 8-10
- 150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g milk or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bananas, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 4-5 tbsp Nutella or chocolate spread, warmed
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and butter and line a 900g loaf tin. Whisk the butter and sugar in a large bowl using electric beaters for 2 minutes until creamy and pale. Add the eggs and whisk for another minute. Fold in the bananas, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Tip in the chocolate and mix well.
- STEP 2Scoop the mixture into the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before putting on a wire rack to cool completely.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and, once melted, cook the bananas, cut-side down, for a couple of minutes until slightly golden. Sprinkle over the sugar and cook for another minute until caramelised. Spread the Nutella on top of the cake, put the caramelised bananas on top and serve.