Coconut and peanut aubergine curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- for frying oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- a 5cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 400ml half-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- coriander or breads or rice, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Cook the aubergine in batches until golden and soft. Add another tbsp of oil if you need to. Scoop out once they are done.
- STEP 2
Add the onion to the same pan and cook until soft and golden. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- STEP 3
Tip in the coconut milk, tamarind and peanut butter. Simmer gently until the peanut butter dissolves. Add the aubergine back and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir through some coriander and serve with bread or rice.