Spinach, chickpea and potato curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- a thumb-sized piece ginger, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g Charlotte potatoes, cut into chunks
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g spinach, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp garam masala
- naans, to serve
- STEP 1Put the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and 3 tbsp of water into a blender or food processor, and whizz until completely smooth.
- STEP 2Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan, carefully add the onion purée and cook for 10 minutes until reduced and golden. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes, then tip in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- STEP 3Season and add the potatoes and chickpeas along with 1⁄2 a tin of water and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened and the potatoes have cooked through. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes to wilt.
- STEP 4Stir in the lemon juice and garam masala, and serve with naans.