Smoked mackerel, beet and apple salad with creamy horseradish dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4-6
- 200g pearled spelt
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- a pinch (optional) dried chilli flakes
- 250g cooked beetroot, diced
- 4 fillets smoked peppered mackerel, broken into chunks (discard skin and bones)
- 1 red-skinned apple, cut into matchsticks and tossed in lemon juice
CREAMY HORSERADISH DRESSING
- a small bunch dill, chopped
- finely grated to make 2-3 tsp horseradish, (see notes below)
- 150g natural yogurt
- STEP 1
Cook the spelt in boiling salted water for 25 minutes or until tender, then drain well and cool.
- STEP 2
To make the dressing, stir ½ the dill and all the horseradish into the yogurt, with a good pinch of salt. Add 2-3 tbsp cold water and stir until a drizzle-able consistency.
- STEP 3
Fry the spring onions in the olive oil in a frying pan until softened, then stir in the lemon juice, cumin seeds and dried chilli flakes (if using). Take off the heat and season.
- STEP 4
Tip the drained spelt into a large bowl. Add the cooked spring onions and all the liquid from the pan. Add most of the remaining dill and toss everything together. Pile the spelt onto a serving plate, add the beetroot, mackerel pieces and apple matchsticks, and drizzle over the dressing. Sprinkle with a little more dill to finish.