Spiced toffee apple traybake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 12
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 350g Bramley apple sauce
- to serve toffee sauce
- 25g butter, plus extra for the tin
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 eating apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- STEP 1To make the apple topping, heat the butter in a pan and stir in the brown sugar until melted, then add the apples and toss. Leave to cool a little.
- STEP 2Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line the base of a deep 22-23cm square cake tin. Mix the flour, bicarb, ginger and mixed spice in a bowl. Put the sugars, eggs, oil and apple sauce in a separate bowl, and whisk to combine. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating until combined.
- STEP 3Spoon the mixture into the tin. Arrange the apple pieces and drizzle the sauce from the pan on top and bake for 40-45 minutes. Keep an eye on it and cover the cake with foil for the final 5-10 minutes if it’s browning too much.
- STEP 4Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out. Serve warm as a pudding or at room temperature. Drizzle with toffee sauce to serve.