Stuffed aubergine rolls
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4-6
- 1 large or 2 medium aubergines
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for griddling
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- a pinch (optional) sugar
- a splash (optional) vinegar
- a small bunch basil, leaves picked
- 1 ball mozzarella
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g sourdough or bloomer breadcrumbs
- 25g parmesan (or veggie alternative), finely grated
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- STEP 1Trim the aubergines, then cut into 5mm slices lengthways. Brush both sides of each slice with some oil. Season. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until very hot, and cook the aubergines for 4-6 mins on each side until char lines appear and they are cooked through (they’ll stop looking spongy, and turn a slightly translucent grey). You’ll need to do this in batches. Put on a plate. Set aside.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, and fry the garlic for 1-2 mins until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, half a tin of water, the oregano and some seasoning. Bubble, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened and saucy. Season well and add a pinch of sugar or a splash of vinegar to balance the tomatoes if needed. Roughly chop half the basil and stir into the sauce. Remove from the heat.
- STEP 3Drain the mozzarella, then chop into rough rectangles or wedges (you’ll need the same amount of mozzarella pieces as you have aubergine slices). Working with one aubergine slice at a time, put a piece of mozzarella at one end, spoon over 1 tsp of pesto, top with a basil leaf, and season. Roll the aubergine up into a fat sausage, so the filling is enclosed. Repeat with the remaining aubergine slices, mozzarella, pesto and basil.
- STEP 4Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the tomato sauce in a baking dish large enough to comfortably fit all the aubergine rolls, and nestle them into the sauce, seam- side down, so they’re half-coated in the sauce. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the sauce bubbling.
- STEP 5Meanwhile, make the crumbs. Heat the oil in frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the breadcrumbs for 5 minutes until golden and crisp. Scoop into a bowl, mix with the remaining ingredients and season.
- STEP 6Serve the aubergine rolls with the crispy crumbs on the side for sprinkling over (this will help prevent them going soggy in the sauce).