Rum and pineapple upside-down puddings
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes 6
- 100g butter, plus extra for the ramekins
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- a pinch ground allspice
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 435g tin pineapple rings, drained
- 6 maraschino cherries
- to serve coconut or vanilla ice cream
- 4 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 150g butter, melted and cooled a little
- 1 lemon, zested
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 2 balls stem ginger in syrup, diced
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put the butter, brown sugar, allspice and rum in a small pan and heat until the sugar has melted. Divide between 6 buttered 200ml ramekins or small soufflé dishes, followed by a ring of pineapple, then a maraschino cherry in the middle of each ring.
- STEP 2To make the puddings, whisk the eggs and sugar with electric beaters for 10 minutes or until very thick, pale and fluffy. Beat in the butter and lemon zest. Sift over the flour and fold it in carefully, then fold in the rum and ginger. Divide evenly between the ramekins.
- STEP 3Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the puds are firm to the touch and the syrup is beginning to bubble up around the edges. Turn out onto plates and serve straight away with coconut or vanilla ice cream, if you like.