Classic potato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + cooling
- Serves 6 as a side
- 750g new potatoes, halved if large
- 200ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp horseradish sauce
- crushed to make ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 75g cornichons, chopped
- 75g pickled onions, chopped
- a small bunch tarragon, chopped
- a small bunch chives, finely snipped
- STEP 1
Put the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 18-20 minutes or until tender. Drain really well.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the buttermilk, horseradish, black pepper, lemon zest and juice, and some salt. Tip in the hot potatoes, toss well and leave to cool.
- STEP 3
Add the red onion, capers, cornichons, pickled onions and herbs, and fold gently to combine. Season to taste and serve.