Recipe tip: Fill any holes and dips in the Christmas cake with extra marzipan before you cover it with the marzipan layer. For an alternative decorating option, whip up a batch of our homemade royal icing to cover this cake, instead.
How to store your Christmas cake
This make-ahead Christmas cake will keep up to three weeks if stored in an air-tight container in a cool place. Otherwise wrap the un-iced cake in airtight wrapping and store in the freezer for up to six months, then defrost thoroughly before icing.
- currants, sultanas and raisins 600g
- glacé cherries 100g
- mixed peel 50g, chop a couple of whole pieces if you can
- glacé ginger or crystallised ginger 50g, roughly chopped
- glacé or diced pineapple 100g, roughly chopped
- Cointreau or Grand Marnier 60ml
- ginger wine 60ml
- Angostura bitters 2 tbsp, the orange version is good
- light muscovado sugar 225g
- butter 250g, softened
- plain flour 225g
- ground ginger 1tsp
- nutmeg ¼ of a whole one, grated
- cinnamon 1 tsp
- vanilla extract 1 tbsp
- whole blanched almonds 100g
- eggs 4
- orange 1, zested
- apricot jam 2 tbsp, mixed with 1 tbsp water and sieved
- marzipan 500g
- corn flour for rolling
- vodka 4 tbsp
- ready-roll fondant icing 500g
Try these three twists on a classic Christmas cake:
Impress your friends and family this Christmas and make our standout snowball cake. It might not be snowing outside, but one bite of this cake and you'll feel like you're in a winter wonderland. Filled with coconut and covered in white chocolate, it's sweet and indulgent, making it the perfect Christmas Day centrepiece.
Want an easy fruit cake with no fuss? Impress your guests this Christmas and jazz up your cake with rum and a simple almond buttercream. Make it now or save the recipe to whip-up a quick, last-minute Christmas cake.
A real showstopper of a cake, this three-tiered beauty is all dark chocolate and Baileys Irish Cream. It's perfect for an impressive Christmas dessert.
- Kcals 924
- Fat 29.9g
- Saturates 12.4g
- Carbs 156.2g
- Fibre 3.4g
- Protein 10.5g
- Salt 0.57g