- vegetable oil 4 tbsp
- aubergines 2, cut into 2cm-thick batons
- garlic 6 cloves, finely chopped
- ginger a thumb-sized piece, finely chopped
- chilli bean paste (doubinjiang/toban jang) 2 tbsp (see cook’s notes)
- light soy sauce 1 tbsp
- soft light brown sugar 1 tbsp
- chinkiang black vinegar 3 tbsp (see cook's notes)
- spring onions 3, just the green parts, thinly sliced
- cooked rice to serve
- Chilli bean paste, otherwise known as doubinjiang or toban jang, is a salty paste made from
fermented broad beans, soya beans, salt, rice and various spices. Lee Kum Kee chilli bean paste is available from Asian supermarkets and ocado.com.
- Chinkiang black vinegar is a rice-based vinegar used widely in Chinese cuisine – it is available from Asian supermarkets and souschef.co.uk.
Have you tried our mapo tofu recipe yet?
We've also got plenty more delicious aubergine recipes...
- Kcals 183
- Fat 12.2g
- Saturates 1g
- Carbs 12.3g
- Sugars 9.9g
- Fibre 5.5g
- Protein 3.3g
- Salt 1.1g