This spicy herbal salad recipe is adapted from Sambal Shiok: The Malaysian Cookbook by Mandy Yin (£25, Quadrille). Mandy says: “Kerabu is an umbrella term in Malay denoting a vibrant salad of vegetables and herbs, dressed with a fiery sambal, shrimp paste and lime to bring everything together. The dressing is spicy, sharp and smells wonderful from all the herbs.
It is a good a way to use up both raw and cooked left-over ingredients. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients while keeping the powerful dressing the same. Just replace the shrimp paste with salt to make it vegan.”
For more information on this vibrant cuisine, read our guide to Malaysian food.
- cucumber 1
- fresh pineapple 200g, cut into 1cm chunks
- red onions 150g, finely sliced
- mint leaves 80g, roughly chopped
- laksa leaves 40g, roughly chopped
- red chillies 3, finely chopped
- makrut lime leaves 3, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- shrimp paste 20g, dry-toasted in a pan
- lime juice 40ml, (about 2 limes)
- soft light brown sugar 2 tbsp
- tamarind paste ½ tsp