Macedonian pilinja pecheni (braised quail)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 30g butter, softened
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 quails, backbones removed, spatchcocked
- 240ml red wine
- 16 (frozen and defrosted are fine) small peeled pearl onions
- finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. In a small dish, mix together the butter, salt, paprika and nutmeg. Smear the butter mixture all over the quails.
- STEP 2Heat an ovenproof frying pan (preferably cast iron) over a high heat and brown the quails for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the skins just turn golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- STEP 3Reduce the heat to medium and pour the wine into the pan. Add the onions and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the wine has reduced by half.
- STEP 4Return the quails to the frying pan and roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until just cooked through. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and serve immediately.