'Roast' chicken dinner
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 skin-on chicken thighs
- 1, zested plus a squeeze of juice lemon
- 3 sprigs, leaves picked thyme
- 300g, halved baby new potatoes
- 200g, halved lengthways baby carrots
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 160g, tough stems removed and leaves shredded kale
- a handful, roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan or casserole over a medium heat. Season the chicken thighs generously and put skin-side down in the pan with the lemon zest, thyme and potatoes.
- STEP 2
Allow the chicken thighs and potatoes to cook without moving for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken skins turn crisp and deep golden brown. Turn the chicken and potatoes, add the carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the carrots are starting to become tender.
- STEP 3
Combine the chicken stock and mustard, then add to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then add the kale. Season, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, the potatoes and carrots are tender, and the liquid has reduced slightly.
- STEP 4
Serve straight to the table with a good squeeze of lemon juice and a generous sprinkling of parsley.