Venison steaks with stir-fried sprouts
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + Resting
- Serves 2
- 400g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 venison steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- peeled and finely grated to make ½ tsp ginger
- ½ apple or pear, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 20g walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp cider or rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp (optional) white miso
- STEP 1Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 18-20 minutes until tender, then drain. Mash with the lemon zest and juice.
- STEP 2Heat a frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Rub the venison steaks with half the olive oil. Season, then sear the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a board and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- STEP 3Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a high heat, and fry the sprouts, stirring frequently, for 4-6 minutes or until slightly golden at the edges and tender. Stir in the ginger, apple or pear and walnuts, and fry for another minute. Add the vinegar, miso (if using) and 2 tbsp water, then stir everything together with a pinch of salt. Serve the rested steaks over the lemony mash, with the sprouts on the side.