Roast salmon with herb crust and brown shrimp butter
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + curing
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1.5kg side salmon, skin on
- 1kg new potatoes, large ones halved
- 150g butter, diced
- 70g pack brown shrimps
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ a small bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ a bunch dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- crushed to make ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, zested
- 50g capers, drained and rinsed
- 150g soft white breadcrumns
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- STEP 1
Mix the sea salt with the coriander seeds and sprinkle all over the flesh of the salmon. Cover and chill for 1 hour, then rinse well under gently running cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- STEP 2
Put the new potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender to the point of a knife. Drain well.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the parsley, dill, mustard powder, peppercorns, lemon zest and a pinch of salt into a food processor, and whizz until finely chopped. Tip in the capers, breadcrumbs and oil, and pulse until combined.
- STEP 4
Put the salmon, skin-side down, into a large roasting tin with the new potatoes all around, then pack the herby breadcrumbs all over the top of the fish. Dot the butter all over the potatoes and season, then roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Stir the brown shrimp into the potatoes and butter after 20 minutes, for the final 5 minutes of cooking. Remove from the oven, pour over the lemon juice and serve with roasted carrots and greens tossed in more of the buttery juices, if you like.