This dressed crab recipe comes from Creole Kitchen by Vanessa Bolosier (Pavilion, £25).
Blue land crab is now a protected species in the French Caribbean and it is only eaten at specific times of the year, but when the hunting season is open there are countless ways of cooking it. For this recipe you can boil sea crabs with bay leaves and salt, then pull out the flesh from the claws and legs; you will also need to wash and sterilise the shell before filling it. To save time, buy crabmeat from a fishmonger’s.
- baguette 70g (about ¼ of a baguette), slightly stale
- semi-skimmed milk 3 tbsp
- spring onions 2, roughly chopped
- onion 1, chopped
- garlic 3 cloves
- flat-leaf parsley 2 sprigs
- thyme 1 sprig, leaves picked
- red habanero or scotch bonnet ) ½ chilli, seeded
- butter 2 tbsp
- mixed crabmeat 175g, shredded
- lime 1, juiced
- fine dried breadcrumbs 3 tbsp
- lime wedges to serve