Giant champagne and lemon prawn vol-au-vents
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 500g puff pastry block
- for dusting plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150ml (or any other sparkling wine) Champagne
- 150ml double cream
- 300g cooked king prawns
- 2 lemons, zested and juice of ½
- a small bunch dill, roughly chopped
- STEP 1Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured worksurface until about 40cm x 40cm and 5mm thick. Use a round 12cm cutter to cut 8 circles from the pastry. Put 4 of the circles onto a baking paper-lined tray, then use a round 8cm cutter to make rings from the remaining 4 circles.
- STEP 2Brush the 4 circles on the baking paper with beaten egg, then neatly lay over the rings onto each. Prick the middles with a fork. Put the inner circles onto the baking tray too and brush everything with more beaten egg. Chill for 20 minutes.
- STEP 3Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Give all the pastry another good brush with egg, then put into the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool.
- STEP 4To make the creamy prawn sauce, tip the champagne into a small pan and reduce by 1/2. Add in the cream, season lightly with salt and lots of black pepper, and reduce until a thick coating consistency. Add in the king prawns, lemon zest and juice, and season. Stir in the dill.
- STEP 5Spoon the mixture into the vol-au-vents, put on the lids and serve.