Salted caramel chocolate fondants
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the moulds
- cocoa, for dusting
- 150g dark chocolate, at least 72% solids, chopped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- eggs, 2 large
- egg yolks, 2 large
- 55g golden caster sugar
- 35g plain flour
- 4 good heaped tsp salted caramel sauce
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Brush 4 mini metal pudding moulds thickly with soft butter and dust well with cocoa, so that all the butter is covered.
- STEP 2Put the 100g butter and the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and melt together in 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring in between each burst. Or set over a pan of hot water and melt gently, stirring occasionally. Set aside while you make the sponge.
- STEP 3Whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is fluffy, doubled in size and pale in colour. When you lift the whisk from the mixture it should leave a ribbon trail on top of the surface. This will take about 5 minutes. Whisk in the melted chocolate and butter, then sift over the our and fold in well.
- STEP 4Spoon the mixture into the moulds to ll about 1.5cm full. Dot a tsp of the caramel sauce in the centre, then cover carefully with more sponge mixture until the moulds are lled to about 1cm below the rim. Put on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins, the mixture should rise just above the edge of the moulds. Turn out onto serving plates, dust with more cocoa and serve straight away.