Looking for omelette fillings? Try our ideas below for a quick lunch then check out our omelette recipes for dinner.
Basic omelette recipe
To cook each omelette (serves one), whisk 3 eggs and season. Heat a large knob of butter in a small frying pan until foaming and pour in the eggs. Cook over a medium heat, drawing in the edges with a spatula so the raw egg runs into the gaps and cooks. Keep cooking until the omelette is set but still a little oozy on top. Fill, fold and serve.
Omelette fillings ideas
Gruyère, avocado, spring onion and chive omelette filling
- Mix ¼ diced avocado with 2 chopped spring onions and 1 tbsp chopped chives.
- Scatter the omelette with a handful of finely grated gruyère as it cooks.
- Spoon the avo mix over the top and fold over.
- Leave for 1 minute before serving.
Garlic mushroom, chilli and spinach omelette filling
- Heat a large knob of butter in a pan and add 75g sliced chestnut mushrooms.
- Cook until softened and browned, then stir in ½ a crushed garlic clove and some dried chilli flakes.
- Cook for 1 minute, stir in 2 handfuls of baby spinach until wilted, then season.
- Cook the omelette as described above then spoon over the mushroom/spinach mix, fold over and leave for 1 minute before serving.
Hot smoked salmon, lemon crème fraîche and dill omelette filling
- Cook the omelette as above, scatter over a handful of flaked hot smoked salmon, 1-2 tbsp of crème fraîche mixed with a little lemon zest and a little chopped dill.
- Fold over the top and leave for 1 minute to warm everything through.
Asian spicy prawn omelette filling
- Heat 1 tsp of sesame oil in a small pan.
- Add 50g chopped raw prawns, ½ chopped red chilli, 1 tsp finely chopped ginger and a handful of edamame beans (defrosted if frozen).
- Cook until the prawns are pink, then add a splash of soy sauce.
- Cook the omelette as described, opposite, whisking 1 tsp sesame oil into the eggs before cooking.
- Spoon the prawn mix on top and fold over. Leave for 1 minute before serving.