Snackbar rice bowl with karaage chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + pickling + marinating
- A little effort
- Serves 4
- a bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- for deep-frying sunflower oil
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 200g sushi rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp buckwheat
- 1 corn on the cob
- a handful salad leaves
- ½ lime, juiced
- 4 egg yolks
- a pinch (optional) gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) or dried chilli flakes
- 250ml rice vinegar
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ daikon, peeled and cut into thin half moons
- 250g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm chunks
- finely grated to make 2 tsp ginger
- finely grated to make 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp sake
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 100g potato starch
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- STEP 1For the pickle, tip the rice vinegar, sugar and 250ml water into a small pan and gently heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool completely.
- STEP 2Sprinkle the salt over the daikon in a colander, leave to drain for an hour, then squeeze out any excess water. Tip into a bowl, pour over the cooled pickling liquid and chill for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- STEP 3For the karaage chicken, put the chicken into a small bowl and add the ginger, garlic, sake, soy sauce and sugar. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- STEP 4To make the coriander mayo, add the coriander to a food processor with 2 tbsp of sunflower oil and blitz to a purée. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the mayo.
- STEP 5Wash and cook the sushi rice according to pack instructions, then season with the soy sauce and sesame oil, and cover until ready to serve.
- STEP 6To make the toasted buckwheat, heat a splash of oil in a pan and toast the buckwheat until aromatic and lightly browned.
- STEP 7To make the sweetcorn, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the cob, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the kernels are tender. Drain, cool slightly then use a large sharp knife to carefully remove the kernels.
- STEP 8Put the potato starch and ground turmeric onto a plate and mix together. Drain the chicken and dredge the pieces through the flour until completely covered. Fill a pan no more than 1/3 full with oil and heat to 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Carefully lower some of the chicken into the oil and cook for 4-5 minutes until really crisp and brown, then drain on kitchen paper and season. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- STEP 9Toss the salad leaves with lime juice.
- STEP 10To serve, add a dollop of coriander mayo to the bottom of the bowl, top with rice and create a small indent in the middle to hold an egg yolk. Top with corn, pickled daikon, fried chicken and sprinkle with buckwheat, salt and gochugaru, if you like.