- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8-10
- 300g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 100g salted butter, softened
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150ml golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g pecans, 200g chopped and 100g left whole
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche, to serve
- STEP 1Roll the pastry out to the thickness of a 20p coin and line a 23cm x 4cm deep round tart tin, then trim, leaving a 2cm overhang. Prick the base all over with a fork and chill for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line the pastry shell with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- STEP 2Bake for 10 minutes then remove the paper and beans and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the shell looks biscuity and there are no raw patches of pastry.
- STEP 3To make the filling, use electric beaters to whisk together the butter and sugar for a few minutes until a little paler in colour. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the golden syrup, vanilla and chopped pecans. Pour into the pastry case and arrange the whole pecans on top in a single layer. Sprinkle over the sea salt flakes.
- STEP 4Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and cook for another 35 minutes until risen and just set. Cool to just warm and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche.