Quinoa-coated halloumi with sprouting broccoli and romesco dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 3
- 200g quinoa
- 100g purple sprouting broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour, well seasoned
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250g halloumi, cut into 6 slices
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- a handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ a small bunch coriander, leaves torn
- a handful almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped
- 1½ tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ a clove garlic, crushed
- a pinch caster sugar
- STEP 1
Put all of the dressing ingredients into a small food processor with some seasoning and whizz until completely smooth.
- STEP 2
Cook 100g of the quinoa in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, adding the broccoli for the final 3 minutes, then drain really well.
- STEP 3
Put the flour, egg and remaining 100g of quinoa into 3 shallow bowls, then toss the slices of halloumi in the flour first, then the egg, then coat really well in the quinoa.
- STEP 4
Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and cook the halloumi pieces, in batches if necessary, for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- STEP 5
Tip the cooked quinoa and broccoli into a bowl with ½ the dressing, the tomatoes, red onion and coriander, and mix really well. Divide between 3 plates and top with the crispy halloumi and almonds, and drizzle with the remaining dressing to serve.