Try this pickled pea frittata recipe adapted from The Modern Preserver’s Kitchen by Kylee Newton (Quadrille, £22).
- unsalted butter 1 ½ tbsp
- light olive oil, rapeseed or vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- onions 2 large, diced
- pea and mint pickle (see below) 200g
- mixed fresh herbs (mint, flat-leaf parsley, basil, coriander, chives 120g, roughly chopped
- eggs 12, whisked
PEA AND MINT PICKLE
- fresh peas 500g, (podded weight)
- cider vinegar 350ml
- filtered water 80ml
- white sugar 30g
- sea salt 1 ½ tsp
- bird’s-eye chillies 1-2, roughly chopped
- black peppercorns 1 tsp
- fresh mint leaves 6-8
Substitute the pickled peas for pickled carrots, pickled peppers, pickled fennel or pickled corn kernels.
Add crumbled feta, goats’ cheese or ricotta, or slice some cherry tomatoes in half and gently push into the top of the frittata while it is cooking on the stove top.
Recipe adapted from The Modern Preserver’s Kitchen by Kylee Newton (Quadrille, £22). Photography ©Laura Edwards