- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
- 6 thick slices crusty stale bread
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 300ml dry white wine
- 6 slices cooked ham
- 300g gruyère, beaufort or comté cheese, finely grated
- 6 (optional) eggs
- for frying butter
- a good grating (optional) nutmeg
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Butter 6 ovenproof bowls just large enough to hold a slice of bread (alternatively, use a large baking tray).
- STEP 2Rub both sides of the bread slices with the cut side of the garlic and then divide between the bowls. Pour over the wine and then top with the ham and then the cheese.
- STEP 3Bake for 20 minutes. If you’re serving the eggs, fry these in a little butter in the meantime and then add to the top along with a grating of nutmeg, if you like, before serving, preferably with a green salad.