- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 1½ tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 600g greek yogurt
- 8 skinless whole chicken thighs
- 125g baby spinach leaves
- a squeeze lemon juice
- 1 red jalapeño chilli, thinly sliced
- a handful coriander leaves
- STEP 1
Heat a large casserole over a medium heat. Add the butter or ghee and, when melted, stir in the onion. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes until softened. Reduce the heat slightly, add the garlic, ginger and spices, and cook for a further minute.
- STEP 2
Stir in the yogurt and 100ml of water, then add the chicken thighs. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and, when it just starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a warm plate and cover to keep warm.
- STEP 3
Add the spinach and lemon juice to the pan and cook, turning the spinach with a pair of tongs for 3 minutes until wilted. Season to taste. Spoon the sauce onto plates, top with the chicken and any resting juices, and finish with the chilli and some coriander leaves.