- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1kg whole chicken legs and thighs
- 6-7 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125ml light soy sauce
- 170ml coconut vinegar
- 4 large dried bay leaves
- ½ tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- steamed rice, to serve
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a casserole over a medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Remove to a plate. Turn down the heat to medium and lightly fry the garlic until just brown. Return the chicken to the dish and add the soy, vinegar, bay and peppercorns. Turn the heat back up to medium-high.
- STEP 2Using a non-metal spatula, scrape up any garlic from the bottom of the casserole. Lay the onion slices over the chicken and bring the liquid to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium so it maintains a simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the onions have softened.
- STEP 3Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 10 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly. Serve with steamed rice.