- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + chilling
- Makes 6
- 450g rump steak, fat trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2-3 2682
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2.5cm root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- fresh curry leaves or coriander
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- a small bunch coriander, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced chapatis and raita to serve
- STEP 1
Finely chop the meat in a food processor and tip into a bowl. Finely chop the other burger ingredients except the onions with black pepper and ½ tsp salt. Add the onions and pulse so they are very finely chopped. Add to the minced steak.
- STEP 2
Knead the steak and onion mixture. Form patties about the size of your palm and 2.5cm thick. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- STEP 3
For the salsa, combine the red onion, coriander and tomatoes. Toss with the lemon juice.
- STEP 4
Grill, fry or BBQ the burgers for 4 minutes or until done.
- STEP 5
Serve in a warm chapati and top with the salsa and raita.