Mussels with wheat beer and bacon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
- olive oil
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 300ml wheat beer, such as Erdinger
- 1kg mussels, cleaned and bearded
- a handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- bread, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan with a lid. Add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- STEP 2
Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the beer and bring to a simmer.
- STEP 3
Check the mussels and discard any that don’t close when tapped on a worksurface.
- STEP 4
Tip in the mussels, put on a lid and cook until all the mussels have opened. (Discard any shells that stay closed).
- STEP 5
Shake the pan now and again to redistribute the heat.
- STEP 6
Stir in the parsley and serve in warm bowls with bread.