Step-by-step guide: how to peel and crush garlic
- Chop your garlic clove in half vertically, then roll the clove onto its side keeping both parts together.
- Slice finely along the vertical of the clove to make thin shards of garlic.
- Chop once more to make the garlic pieces as small as possible.
- Put a pinch of sea salt flakes on top of your pile of garlic.
- Use the side of the knife to scrape the garlic into a paste – the salt acts as an abrasive.
- Why not use your newfound skill in the recipe below?
RATATOUILLE WITH CRISP GARLIC SOURDOUGH
30 minutes, serves 4, easy
onion 1 large, finely chopped
garlic 3 cloves, 2 crushed, 1 halved
aubergine 1 large, diced
courgettes 2, diced
red pepper 1, diced
chopped tomatoes 400g tin
cherry tomatoes 250g
basil a small bunch, chopped
sourdough bread 8 thin slices
Cook the onion and crushed garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes. Add the aubergines and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the courgettes and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir through the basil.
Toast the sourdough, rub with the garlic halves and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Serve with the ratatouille.