Quick video: how to chop and crush garlic
Learn how to chop and crush garlic properly in just 20 seconds (watch the video above). You'll need some sea salt to get it right.
Step-by-step guide: how to peel and crush garlic
- Chop your garlic clove in half vertically, then roll the clove onto its side keeping both parts together.
- Slice finely along the vertical of the clove to make thin shards of garlic.
- Chop once more to make the garlic pieces as small as possible.
- Put a pinch of sea salt flakes on top of your pile of garlic.
- Use the side of the knife to scrape the garlic into a paste - the salt acts as an abrasive.
- Why not use your newfound skill in the recipe below?
RATATOUILLE WITH CRISP GARLIC SOURDOUGH
30 minutes, serves 4, easy
onion 1 large, finely chopped
garlic 3 cloves, 2 crushed, 1 halved
aubergine 1 large, diced
courgettes 2, diced
red pepper 1, diced
chopped tomatoes 400g tin
cherry tomatoes 250g
basil a small bunch, chopped
sourdough bread 8 thin slices
Cook the onion and crushed garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes. Add the aubergines and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the courgettes and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir through the basil.
Toast the sourdough, rub with the garlic halves and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Serve with the ratatouille.