Step-by-step guide: how to chop an onion
1. Peel and chop an onion in half. Lie one half cut-side down on your worktop surface.
2. Holding the onion down firmly with one hand, make several vertical cuts, slicing away from the root.
3. Swivelling the onion round, make one horizontal cut through the middle of the onion.
4. Chop downwards with a slicing motion to get finely chopped onion pieces.
5. Why not use your newfound skill in the recipe below?
TUNA, RED ONION AND WHITE BEAN SALAD
10 minutes, serves 2, easy
olive oil 2 tbsp
Dijon mustard 1 tsp
lemon ½, juiced
tuna in spring water 1 × 200g tin, drained and flaked into chunks
cannellini beans 400g tin, rinsed and drained
red onion ½, finely chopped
Whisk together the oil, mustard and lemon juice. Toss with the tuna, beans and onion and season well.
Gently toss with the rocket, divide between two plates and serve.
per serving 321 kcals, protein 27.6g, carbohydrate 25.4g, fat 12.9g, saturated fat 1.7g, fibre 7.4g, salt 1.66g