*This recipe is gluten-free according to industry standards
To get that distinctive tangy ’nduja flavour with just the right amount of heat, it’s essential to use authentic Calabrian chillies. And use the best quality pork meat and fat you can get your hands on – your ’nduja will be all the more delicious and well textured for it.
- beef cap/ox bung casings 2, soaked in warm water before use (see notes below)
- Calabrian peperoncini piccanti (hot peppers) in oil 2 x 285g jars, (see notes below)
- minced fatty pork meat (shoulder or belly) 500g
- minced pork fat 500g, (see notes below)
- fine table salt 30g, (or 3% of combined weight of pork meat and fat)
- Prague Powder #2 ½ tsp, (or 2.5g on a digital micro scale; see notes below)
Beef cap/ox bung are thick natural casings (often used for haggis or mortadella) that are perfect for ’nduja because of their size and bulbous (rather than long and narrow) shape – they are available at £5.20 for a pack of two from weschenfelder.co.uk.
We used Calabriamia Calabrian peperoncini piccanti, available at £3.99 a jar from melburyandappleton.co.uk.
You’ll need to ask your butcher for cubed or minced pork fat, as you’re unlikely to find it in supermarkets.