Date and pecan loaf with pomegranate molasses
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- + soaking
- Cuts into 10-12 slices
- 185g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 50ml whole milk
- 100ml pomegranate molasses, plus extra for drizzling
- 125g soft light brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, cold, cubed, plus extra for the tin
- 250g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- a big pinch ground ginger
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 75g pecans, roughly chopped
- (we used Green & Black’s Organic Vanilla Ice Cream, or make your own with our recipe below), to serve ice cream
- STEP 1
Put the dates in a bowl and pour over the milk plus 150ml of boiling water, and leave to soak for an hour.
- STEP 2
Put the molasses and sugar in a pan, and warm over a very low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and butter and line the base and ends of a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
- STEP 3
Rub the cold butter into the flour using your fingers or whizz in a food processor until it resembles small breadcrumbs. Stir in the bicarb and spices.
- STEP 4
Stir the eggs into the molasses syrup with the soaked dates and their liquid, then stir together with the dry ingredients. Stir in 2/3 of the pecans. Pour into the tin and scatter over the remaining nuts. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until only moist crumbs stick to a skewer poked into the middle. Cover with foil if it’s getting a little dark. Cool in the tin, then eat sliced with ice cream and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
Make your own ice cream with our easy recipe...