Chicken and ginger congee
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 200g basmati rice
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 2 thumb-sized pieces ginger, shredded
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g cooked chicken, shredded (preferably dark leg meat)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- to serve (optional) chiu chow chilli oil
- STEP 1
Wash the rice well in lots of cold running water until the water runs clear. Tip into a large pan or casserole, pour in the chicken stock and add ½ the ginger. Simmer gently for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring regularly, until the rice is broken down and it has thickened.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken, remaining ginger and garlic until crisp. Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the chicken, spring onions and some chilli oil, if you like.