We’ve created super quick and easy lunchbox ideas, along with healthy lunches for work. Everything from protein-rich boxes to vegetarian lunchbox ideas.
Smoky mackerel and beans lunchbox
- Tip a tin of cannellini beans into a sieve.
- Rinse with cold water then leave to drain.
- Whisk 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar and ½ tsp horseradish cream in a bowl and season.
- Tip in the beans with 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley and ¼ finely chopped red onion and toss.
- Divide between 2 lunchboxes then top each with a smoked mackerel fillet and a wedge of lemon.
Asian avo, prawns and greens lunchbox
- Blanch 100g frozen peas, 100g frozen edamame beans and 100g chopped long-stemmed broccoli for 2 minutes, then rinse under cold water and drain.
- Whisk 1 tbsp groundnut oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil in a bowl.
- Add the greens with a small pack of cooked king prawns, 1 tbsp chopped pickled ginger, 1 finely chopped red chilli and ½ diced avocado.
- Divide between 2 lunchboxes and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Boil 2 eggs for 7 minutes, adding 100g green beans for the final 2 minutes, then drain and rinse everything until cool.
- Peel the eggs. Whisk 2 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1 tsp dijon mustard.
- Add the beans, 1 pack of cooked puy lentils and 3 chopped spring onions and toss.
- Divide between 2 lunch boxes and top with the eggs and a few slices of cooked chicken breast.
Hummus falafel lunchbox
- Shred ¼ small red cabbage and toss with 1 tbsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Grate 2 carrots.
- Divide 4 tbsp hummus between two lunchboxes.
- Add a few leaves of Little Gem and 3 falafels to each (try making your own falafel with our easy recipe) then add the carrots and cabbage.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and pack small pittas separately for scooping.
Superfood salad lunchbox
- Blanch 100g long stem broccoli and 50g peas in boiling salted water then rinse under cold water and drain.
- Dice ¼ of a cucumber.
- Tip 75g of pre-cooked quinoa into a bowl and add the veg. Whisk 1 tbsp olive oil with 2 tbsp lemon juice and season. Add to the bowl and toss everything together.
- Add a handful each of mint and parsley and 50g crumbled feta. Tip into a lunchbox then sprinkle with 2 tsp toasted pumpkin seeds.
Per lunchbox: 433 kcals, fat 26.7g, saturates 9.3g, carbs 23.2g, fibre 10.1g, protein 19.8g, salt 2.8g
High-protein lunchbox with hot smoked salmon, avocado and egg
- Drop a large egg into boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes then run under cold water until cooled.
- Slice half a small avocado and break 75g hot smoked salmon fillet into pieces, discarding any skin.
- Put a handful of watercress in your lunchbox then top with the egg, salmon and avocado.
- Mix 2 tbsp natural yoghurt with 1 tbsp lemon juice and some chopped dill and keep in a mini jar or tub until you are ready to drizzle over and eat.
Per lunchbox: 441 kcals, fat 30.2g, saturates 8.4g, carbs 8.1g, fibre 3.7g, protein 32.4g, salt 1.6g
Low-calorie Asian lunchbox carrot and edamame
- Peel 150g carrots then shred in a food processor or coarsely grate on a box grater.
- Put in a bowl and add 75g blanched edamame beans and a finely chopped red chilli.
- Whisk 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar with ½ tsp sesame oil. Add to the veg and toss together with a good pinch of salt.
- Pack into a lunchbox and sprinkle with a pinch of black sesame seeds.
Per lunchbox: 250 kcals, fat 11.3g, saturates 1.7g, carbs 21.3g, fibre 11.2g, protein 10.2g, salt 0.8g
Low-calorie vegetarian lunchbox with smoky black bean and squash
- Peel and chunk 150g butternut squash. Toss with 1 tsp olive oil, ½ tsp smoked paprika and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Roast at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 for 15-20 minutes until tender. Cool.
- Put 150g rinsed and drained black beans in a bowl. Add ¼ of a diced red pepper. Tip in the squash, a handful of chopped coriander and the juice of a lime. Toss everything together and pack into lunchbox.
Per lunchbox: 233 kcals, fat 4.3g, saturates 0.5g, carbs 30.1g, fibre 14.1g, protein 11.5g, salt 0.8g